We have a family recipe for gingersnaps that we make just around the holidays, and it's a sweet and tasty version of a Christmas favorite. My friend Marianna is letting me share it with you, and we hope you and your family enjoy our recipe for delicious Winter Gingersnaps! We use cloves and extra cinnamon in our twist on this traditional treat because I love those spices, and it adds a terrific flavor. If you'd like to find more holiday favorites, check out my recipe for a Christmas glazed ham or Cherry Cheesecake on Penelope's Oasis!
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 large egg
4 tablespoons molasses
3 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon ground gloves
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix shortening and sugar together with a blender. Add the egg, molasses and salt and mix together well.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves together. Slowly blend in the mixture from step 2 a little at a time, mixing with blender.
4. Make small balls out of dough and roll each ball in sugar. Place dough balls on a greased cookie sheet and flatten each ball slightly with the bottom of a glass cup.
5. Bake for 12 minutes (until light brown).