A question that green advocates like myself often get asked is why. Why do we need to stop using chemicals? Why should I buy organic foods? My short answer? You probably won't like it, but it is the truth: all of these chemicals are killing us. Before we go any further, I want you to take three and a half minutes to watch this "A Wake-Up Story" video.
Chemicals are everywhere. From the food our kids eat, to the grass they roll around on and the soap we use to clean them up. There are more than 80,000 chemicals registered for use in the United States however pre-market safety testing is not required. That's right, companies do not need to prove that a chemical is safe before it is introduced into the market. In Europe, more than 1,300 chemicals have been banned from use in personal care products yet here in the U.S. only 11 have been banned. We are failing to protect our children and now the leading cause of child-related death in the U.S. is cancer.
Let me repeat that:
the leading cause of child-related death in the U.S. is cancer!
Our babies are dying before they even have a chance to live. They are born with more than 200 chemicals already in their little, vulnerable bodies. So THAT is why we all need to be more aware of what we bring into our homes and put on our bodies. That is why I personally urge everyone to be green.
Now that we have the why, let's get to the how. How can you reduce your child's exposure to toxic chemicals? If this is all new to you, the best thing to do is start off easy and take it one step at a time. Healthy Child Healthy World offers us five affordable tips to lowering chemical exposure:
- Take off your shoes. 85 percent of the dirt in our homes is tracked inside on the bottom of our shoes. And unfortunately, it’s not just dirt, but also toxins like lead, pesticides, gasoline residue and more. So take your shoes off at the door and don't be afraid to request guests to as well.
- Buy safer body care. Children are exposed to an average of 27 care product ingredients on a daily basis that have not been found safe for developing bodies. Protect your family’s health by avoiding products with ingredients like parabens, synthetic fragrances and triclosan. I personally use the Seventh Generation baby products and have been very pleased with them all. For a list of most-toxic offenders, download the Healthy Child Healthy World free eBook, “Easy Steps to a Healthy & Safe Nursery.”
- Open a window. We spend about 90 percent of our time inside, but indoor air is typically far more polluted than outside. So, open up your windows. Just a few minutes a day can improve indoor air quality. And don't forgot to do this in your car as well. When you first get in the hot car, roll down the windows for a few minutes while you wait for the A/C to kick in.
- Eat whole foods. Processed foods are convenient, but they are also loaded with sweeteners, artificial flavors and colorings, and synthetic preservatives. These lack nutrients and many are also linked to health issues like ADHD and even cancer. Stonyfield Organic offers an arrangement of foods for babies, kids and adults; organic yogurts, smoothies, soy yogurts, ice cream and milk. I can tell you that they are delicious, are the only yogurt products I have ever used in the 8.5 years that I have been a mom and most importantly they are all made without synthetic hormones, toxic persistent pesticides, GMOs and artificial ingredients.
- Ban the can. Bisphenol-A (BPA), a hormone disruptor that has been linked to everything from obesity to cancer, is in the plastic resin that lines most canned goods—from soups to sodas. Not to mention canned foods are usually loaded with salt. Look for foods packaged in glass or eat fresh, dried, and frozen options.
Now that you have learned a little more about toxic chemicals and how you can limit your exposure, there is still more you can do: take action and educate others. First, contact your senators and urge them to strengthen and pass the Chemical Safety and Improvement Act (CSIA). Click here to send a message to yuor senator now. Next, you can tell your friends, family, PTO, etc. about the dangers of chemicals and the safer products available to them by hosting a Healthy Baby Home Party. There is also a $1 off coupon available to download whether you sign up to host a party or not.
One (1) winner will received a Seventh Generation #HealthyBaby product gift basket. This giveaway is open to US residents only and will end on July 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM EST. Please use the Rafflecopter form below. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway